Table of Contents
- 1 Product Comparison Table
- 2 Best Pressure Washer Reviews
- 2.1 1) Sun Joe SPX3000 – Best Electric Pressure Washer
- 2.2 2) AR Blue Clean AR383 Pressure Cleaner – Best Electric Power Washer
- 2.3 3) GreenWorks GPW1501 – Best Budget Pressure Washer
- 2.4 4) Sun Joe SPX3001 – Best Rated Pressure Washer
- 2.5 5) AR Blue Clean AR390SS – Best Washer Under $200 (including attachments)
- 2.6 6) SIMPSON Cleaning PS3228-s Washer – Best Gas Power Washer
- 2.7 7) Ivation 2200 PSI 1.8 GPM Cleaner – Best Performance Washer
- 2.8 8) Generac 6922 2800PSI 2.4 GPM Power Washer – Best Gas Pressure Washer with Ultimate Power
- 2.9 9) Karcher K5 Power Washer – Best Washer Under $250
- 2.10 10) Powerhouse International – THE FORCE 1800 – Best Compact Pressure Washer With TSS System
- 3 How Did We Pick?
- 4 Winner: Sun Joe SPX3000
- 5 Buying Guide – 7 Factors to Consider Before Buying Electric Pressure Washer
- 5.1 #1. Do You Really Need It?
- 5.2 #2. Can You Handle it Yourself or You Need a Handyman for the Job?
- 5.3 #3. Electric vs Gas Pressure Washer – Which One To Choose?
- 5.4 #4. Potential Risks
- 5.5 #5. Safety
- 5.6 #6. Accessories
- 5.7 #7. Price
- 6 More about Pressure Washers
- 6.1 Why should you use them?
- 6.2 How do they work?
- 6.3 3 Main Types
- 6.4 Parts and Accessories
- 6.5 Repairing Problems
- 6.6 6 Important Applications:
- 6.7 #8 Main Benefits
- 6.8 Hot vs Cold Water Pressure Cleaning Machines
- 6.9 Terms To Remember:
- 7 Top 7 Brands
- 8 FAQs
- 8.1 Electric vs. Gas : Which Type Should I Get?
- 8.2 What Type Can I Use For Indoor Cleaning?
- 8.3 Hot Water Vs Cold Water: Which Fundamental Design Should I Get?
- 8.4 Should I Just Rent A Cleaner or Go Get Myself One Instead?
- 8.5 Can I Attach Third-party Accessories To Improve The Performance Of My Cleaner?
- 8.6 Is Washing My Car With A High-power Washer Safe?
- 9 Wrapping Up
Last month, many new electric & gas powered washers are available in the market with some never-seen-before features. This makes the buying decision tough if you do not have sufficient knowledge of the product. We took up this challenge on your behalf and tested the latest models along with the new features introduced. Our goal is to save you the time needed to explore the market so that you don’t end up with the wrong pressure washer.
Here are the reviews and a comprehensive buying guide for ten of the best electric pressure washer options. I personally recommend the Sun Joe SPX3000 in the electric & Simpson MSH3125-S in the gas category. I have actually used both of these for a long time without any complaints. These are a bit expensive but believe me, once you use them, you will agree that they are worth the money.
Product Comparison Table
|Sun Joe SPX3000||14.5 A/1800 W||31 Pound||2030 PSI||View Price|
|AR Blue Clean AR383||13 A||27 Pound||1900 PSI||View Price|
|GreenWorks GPW1501||13 A||17.5 Pound||1500 PSI||VIew Price|
|Sun Joe SPX3001||14.5 A/1800 W||31 Pound||2030 PSI||View Price|
|AR Blue Clean AR390SS||14 A/1.6 HP||33.55 Pound||2000 PSI||View Price|
|SIMPSON PS3228-S||187 cc||65 Pound||3100 PSI||View Price|
|Ivation Pressure Washer||14.5 A/1600 W||25 Pound||2200 PSI||View Price|
|Generac 6922||196 cc||57 Pound||2800 PSI||View Price|
|Karcher K5||Universal||32 pound||2000 PSI||View Price|
|Powerhouse International Force 1800||_||17 pound||1800 PSI||View Price|
Best Pressure Washer Reviews
Along with electric washers, we have compiled a collective list of gas washers also. So it’s easy for you to decide between these two options simultaneously. So, here are the best power washers for you.
1) Sun Joe SPX3000 – Best Electric Pressure Washer
First on the list is the Sun Joe SPX3000. This is from a company called Snow Joe. Its powerful motor makes this product the ultimate dirt fighter.
The 1800 Watt motor puts out 2030 PSI which in turn shoots out water at the rate of 1.76 GPM. We used this one to clean the grime off the car, the lawnmower, the patio, the sidewalk and the garage door with the utmost ease. So much so, that it became fun.
We are not particularly impressed with corded washers since they limit mobility but the SPX3000 is fitted with a 35-foot power cord to ensure that you reach every corner.
I’ve been a member of an environmental conservation group, all my life. The feature that made me love this particular unit is its smart energy saving mode. The energy saving mode works by shutting off the power whenever the trigger is not engaged to save on power as well as to help prolong the pump’s lifespan.
- Five Quick-Connect spray tips to tackle heavy, medium and light-duty cleaning tasks.
- A powerful 1800-Watt/14.5-amp motor that generates up to 1.76 GPM/2030 PSI for maximum cleaning power
- TSS or Total Stop System automatically shuts off the pump when the motor is left idle for a long period. This helps save energy and increases the lifespan of the pump.
- Dual detergent tanks with a 0.9 L capacity. They are removable and can carry two different types of detergents for carrying out various cleaning jobs.
- Comes with a full 2-year warranty.
- Leaky hose fitting
2) AR Blue Clean AR383 Pressure Cleaner – Best Electric Power Washer
The AR Blue comes second on our list because it does its job beautifully. For electric washers, one of our top requirements is that the units be fitted with long cords for mobility and to avoid the need for power extension cords.
Besides the long power cords, the AR comes with many add-ons to perform various cleaning functions. The hose is also long, as required and helped us wash the car without having to move the machine around constantly.
Within minutes of unboxing the AR, you can start cleaning your home because setting it up is a breeze. When it comes to environmental friendliness, it manages to use 80% less water than a garden hose while being power efficient by using 40% less power.
Also, the fact that it uses an electric motor allowed us to do washing activities at night without disturbing our neighbors with any noise. The washer comes with various add-ons such as a detergent bottle, washer gun, variable nozzles and more.
However, this problem is solvable with a $10 budget where you replace the plastic adapter with a metal one at any local store.
- Ample power for outdoor cleaning activities
- Comes with various attachments included to enhance the cleaning performance
- Environment-friendly nature conserves up to 80% more water than a garden hose
- Quieter than gas engine models
- Easy to assemble and use. Setting up for the first time may take longer but reduces by half when you get used to how it works.
- Customer service available at all times
- Leaky plastic hose adapter
3) GreenWorks GPW1501 – Best Budget Pressure Washer
I had the privilege of using this washer for two weeks and I was completely satisfied with its performance. The first thing I noticed when it arrived is its lightweight nature. This factor came in handy a little later when I had to move it from the garage to the backyard to clean our dog’s house.
Set up was easy and I had it up and running in no time. If you are on an uneven ground, you can set it up horizontally or vertically to achieve greater stability when using it.
Its motor produces 1500 PSI power that easily discharges water at a rate of 1.2 GPM to blast through dirt and grime when cleaning. See 3 Best Washers from GreenWorks.
You can also alter the cleaning finesse with the different angles of quick tip nozzles that are included in the package. The GPW1501 features a 20-foot high-pressure hose that helps with reach-ability, so you don’t have to keep moving the unit around.
- Capable of putting out 1500 PSI at 1.2 GPM to blast through grime on surfaces
- Offers great flexibility and stability with vertical or horizontal use
- Includes various connect tips for handling a variety of cleaning jobs
- Comes with a 20-foot high-pressure hose to offer greater reach
- Soap applicator for deliberate soap application on tough grime
- Comes with a five-foot power cord
- Leaky soap dispenser
- You can almost hear or feel like the motor is switching gears at the beginning of a cleaning session.
4) Sun Joe SPX3001 – Best Rated Pressure Washer
Despite one or two components that seem cheap and flimsy, the overall design and build quality feel sturdy. The 1800 Watt motor produces 2,030 PSI to shoot water at the rate of 1.76 GPM for maximum cleaning performance.
Despite its power, the SPX3001 comes with quick connect spray tips in its packaging to handle different types of cleaning jobs.
The 20-foot high-pressure hose increases reach-ability and the hose reel ensures it is well-secured for storage. In a competitive market, the specs for the SPX3001 are impressive for its price point.
It features an Automatic Total Stop System that increases power efficiency while helping prolong the motor’s lifespan. We got it in the winter period and we cleaned all types of surfaces using it.
During this period we can report that no special maintenance was required. Simply applying a lubricant on the seals to keep them running smoothly and efficiently was all that was required.
- Comes with five Quick-Connect spray tips to tackle all sorts of cleaning tasks
- A powerful 1800-Watt motor that generates up to 2030 PSI to provide maximum cleaning power
- An onboard reel that stores the 20-foot high-pressure hose in an organized fashion for quick access
- TSS or Total Stop System acts as an energy saver while also helping prolong the pump’s life
- Comes with a full CSA approved 2-year warranty
- Lightweight Hose
- Unreliable plastic hose adapter
5) AR Blue Clean AR390SS – Best Washer Under $200 (including attachments)
You can always tell if you have bought a high-quality product, from its packaging. The AR390SS falls in this category. It is well packaged with shock cushions to protect it from impact while being transported.
The AR390SS is highly rated. In fact, it received the highest rating in the 2016 electric pressure washer consumer report test.
Even for first-time users, setup is easy once you un-box it. It comes with several attachments such as a washer wand, a washer gun, a detachable detergent tank and several washer nozzles.
It comes with a class-leading 30-inch high-pressure hose and a 35-foot power cord to provide maximum reach-ability. This unit comes with all the features you could possibly need. It has ample pressure power to complete most cleaning tasks at home.
As for the power, the AR Blue has limited the electric motor to just 15A to protect your home circuit breaker and to make it environment-friendly.
Using the AR390SS will help you conserve 80% more water and improve power efficiency to over 45% more than a standard garden hose.
- Ample power to perform outdoor cleaning
- Highly rated by consumers for its convenience and reliability
- Various attachments included for enhancing cleaning performance
- Easy to assemble
- Wand holder lacks sufficient support and keeps falling out when the wand is removed
6) SIMPSON Cleaning PS3228-s Washer – Best Gas Power Washer
You simply pull the ignition and it roars to life immediately. Its frame is constructed from high strength welded steel for strength and it comes with 10-inch pneumatic tires to handle the potent gas powered engine.
This unit runs on the reliable Honda engine which makes it possible for you to clean your patio and sidewalks within the first 30 minutes of getting it thanks to its easy setup. It features one of the most powerful motors in our lineup.
Gas pressure washers are more powerful than electric ones, and the Simpson PS3228-S puts out 3300 PSI that can shoot water at a mind-blowing 2.5 GPM.
For safety purposes, this unit was fitted with a gun safety lockout to prevent accidental triggers that could cause damage or injury. Unlike other products that come fitted with substandard hoses which wear out over time, the PS3228-S features a MorFlex high-pressure hose.
Not only is the MorFlex hose lightweight and flexible but it is also kink and abrasion resistant which makes it able to withstand heavy-duty use. The hose is fitted with secure M22 connectors for safety and comes with different variants of connector nozzles to handle different cleaning applications.
- Kink & abrasion resistant hose
- Availability of the correct nozzle tips to complete all your cleaning tasks
- Designed to offer safety to users
- Clear surfaces & floors in seconds
- Noisy when compared to electric pressure cleaners
- Produces toxic fumes from its engine
7) Ivation 2200 PSI 1.8 GPM Cleaner – Best Performance Washer
I cannot praise the Ivation enough. The sides of my house had old, cracked paint that bothered me until we got this unit. I set aside a full day for scraping the old paint off but the Ivation did all that for me, saving me a ton of time, energy and the agony of scraping off paint.
Cleaning grime is made easy by its powerful 1800 Watt electric motor that produces 2200 PSI power which in turn shoots water at a rate of 1.8 GPM. This unit excels in many other areas such as car washing.
With this pressure cleaner, you will never have to pay $10 again to get your car cleaned. The interchangeable nozzles included in the packaging can produce high pressure, medium pressure and high-pressure washing nozzles for cleaning various surfaces.
It comes with only three attachments. From the box, you barely need thirty seconds to get it ready for the first wash. Connecting the attachments is made easy and secure with the durable copper connection from the hose to the nozzle.
It comes with the power efficient and life-boosting Total Stop System (TSS) that enhances the washer’s environmental friendliness.
- Power Generated by the 1800 Watt Motor
- Produces 2,200 PSI for Maximum Cleaning Power
- Comes with Interchangeable Pressure Nozzles for Washing Various Surfaces
- Bonus Turbo Wand Included
- Easy-to-Use System R
- Automatic Total Stop System (TSS)
- Optional Self-Suction, & Soap Dispenser
- Comes with a 1 Year Warranty
- Less powerful
8) Generac 6922 2800PSI 2.4 GPM Power Washer – Best Gas Pressure Washer with Ultimate Power
For a gas-powered pressure washer, the Generac 6922 impressed us with its measly curb weight of just 65 pounds. Its lightweight nature was highly appreciated when cleaning the wooden decks of our staircase.
It was easy to move up and down the stairs for a more thorough cleaning.
What’s more, the cushion grip handle was designed ergonomically to provide comfort during cleaning while reducing hand fatigue by encouraging you to use less effort.
The Generac 6922 features a pump made overseas while the engine and frame are American made.
Despite the main components of the Generac 6922 coming from different manufacturing facilities, they have been attached perfectly to provide maximum functionality and enhance the cohesiveness between different parts.
The product comes with 10 inch never flat wheels that are designed to maneuver different types of terrain.
- Designed ergonomically to help reduce fatigue during operation
- Features an integrated detergent tank that provides a convenient storage space for detergents
- Features a Generac OHV horizontal-shaft engine
- Comes equipped with 10” never-flat wheels for easy maneuverability regardless the terrain type
- Four nozzle tips included for tackling any cleaning job
- Some models are more powerful than this unit
- Noisy and produces toxic fumes compared to electric washers
9) Karcher K5 Power Washer – Best Washer Under $250
By the time I received the Karcher K5 for testing, I had gained a lot of experience and expertise on pressure washers. Karcher has been in this space for a long time and they have different models of washers to show for it.
The K5 made our list for its value proposition and cutting-edge features that come with it. Perhaps the most appealing feature of the Karcher K5 is its water-cooled electric motor.
This feature not only increases the efficiency of the washer’s electric motor but helps prolong its life up to five times more than a regular electric motor.
As expected, setting it up was as easy as it should be. This unit is fitted with an N-Cor pump that is maintenance free and non-corrosive to provide durability.
Also, it comes with all the bells and whistles you could ask for in a washer such as multiple spray wands including the dirt blaster spray wand, detergent tank, 35-foot power cord and high impact wheels.
Electric motors are quieter than gas-powered washers, but this unit almost defies the laws of physics for quietness.
This unit will serve you well for soft cleaning jobs at home, so if you’re looking for a commercial washer, this will not make for a good option.
- Clean quicker and more effectively with a 2000 PSI jet of water
- 25-foot high-pressure hose
- Includes various add-ons and attachments
- Dirtblaster spray wand halves the cleaning time
- N-COR pump for durability, maintenance-free and non-corrosive features
- Water-cooled induction motor to boost its life span up to five times more
- Onboard detergent tank
- 7.7″ high impact wheels
- 35-foot GFCI power cord
- Produces only 1.4 GPM which is not effective for cleaning as other models
10) Powerhouse International – THE FORCE 1800 – Best Compact Pressure Washer With TSS System
Sometimes you may wish to get a 5000 PSI washer to clean the grime that has been building up your driveway and sidewalk for years but if you’re like me, you’d look at the price and consider how many times you’re going to use it in a year and finally end up deciding that it is not worth the money.
This unit comes with a 90-degree nozzle that can be used for getting rid of crud from hard to reach corners and edges. It is lightweight and has all-terrain wheels. It actually follows you whenever you reach the end of the pressure hose. Some other models may actually cause you to trip over them, not this one.
The Force 1800 is power efficient in that the pump stops whenever you release the handle. Without a doubt, the Force 1800 is the most self-sufficient electric washer we have featured. It comes with an automatic thermal sensor that senses when the motor is about to overheat and automatically provides better power regulation.
It comes with a functional design which means that every attachment can be stored securely and compactly onto the unit to provide maximum portability. A cool feature is a foot operated on & off switch that is unique to this model.
- Total Stop System or TSS for power efficiency and prolonging motor life
- Uniquely placed foot-operated on/off switch
- The motor features a thermal sensor to protect it from overheating
- Self Storing accessories provide an organized, compact, and portable storage space
- Safety and convenience features
- Capable of shooting 1.6 GPM at 1800 PSI pressure
- Falls short on power compared to gas-powered models
How Did We Pick?
Picking the best electric power washer was not an easy task given the quality that is out there. We took everything into consideration. From the price, type of motor, the power of the motor to convenience, durability and environmental friendliness.
As you can imagine, most pressure washers passed our rigorous tests with flying colors. However, the Sun Joe SPX3000 stood out from the lineup. It checked all the right boxes and what’s more, almost all the professionals we interviewed claimed that it was the best electric pressure washer they had used.
Winner: Sun Joe SPX3000
Like other models, the Sun Joe SPX3000 pressure washer was put through a rigorous testing process and we are glad to announce that it is the best electric pressure cleaner in 2018. It works as advertised, you can wash your front porch and driveway within minutes where it would normally take a minimum of two hours to complete using a garden hose.
You can also clean off the grime stuck on your brick walls and concrete floors without a single hitch. The Sun Joe SPX3000 comes with lots of different nozzles that let you complete various cleaning jobs with ease. For example, with the right nozzle, children as young as six years can use it to clean their bicycles with no problems.
It’s low weight also helps in case children use it. Regardless of its ease of use, parent supervision is strongly advised when in the hands of children.
Buying Guide – 7 Factors to Consider Before Buying Electric Pressure Washer
Share This Infographic Using Code Given Below.
#1. Do You Really Need It?
Before you decide to purchase a pressure washer, you should know that they are available on rent at decent rates. However, if you decide to buy, you should consider buying one that has a built-in soap tank as well as cord storage space. For heavy duty models, ensure you get one with wheels to make it easier for you to move it around. See Pressure Washer Buying Tips.
#2. Can You Handle it Yourself or You Need a Handyman for the Job?
Are you too busy to clean or are unsure about the safety measures of a washer? No need to panic because you can look for professionals. Local contractors and professional cleaners in your local area can easily be found online.
#3. Electric vs Gas Pressure Washer – Which One To Choose?
Gas-Powered Pressure Washer (Price: $250 to $500)
- More power
- Made of solid components, therefore, more durable
- More mobile due to lack of electric cords
- More expensive
- More maintenance required
- More noise
- More fumes
- Heavier and larger in size
Electric-Powered Pressure Washer (Price: $75 to $250)
- More affordable
- Less maintenance
- No fumes mean they can be used indoors
- Less power
- Less portable due to the electric cord
- Mostly made of plastic components means it is less durable
- Electric cord annoyance
#4. Potential Risks
Water coming from a pressure washer can be dangerous if exposed to skin. It is expelled at 30 to 80 times more pressure than a normal garden hose and carries with it, strong cutting capabilities. It is always advisable to use these machines with extreme caution as contact with a misplaced jet of water could severely damage a person’s skin and land him or her in the emergency room.
We’ve already covered the fact that the jet of water can severely damage your skin and also result in bacterial infections. In 2014, about 6,057 people had to be subjected to emergency treatment due to injuries sustained by washers. Also, since gas motors are loud, we recommend you use hearing protection to protect yourself from noise damage from prolonged use. Here are some dos and don’ts to consider:
- Carefully read the manufacturer’s manual
- Wear long pants, sturdy footwear, and protective goggles. Do not wear flip flops
- Take extra care on slippery wet surfaces
- Start at least two feet away from the surface and use the widest spray angle while moving closer
- Always turn off the washer and drain excess water before replacing the spray tips for safety
- Get as much safety practice as you can before you can start using the machine around people
- A garden hose may be more kind to your car’s paint job than an electric washer
- Never get closer than six inches to whatever surface you’re cleaning. You may end up punching holes in your deck wood or puncturing your car’s tires with the stream of water
- Don’t let a gas motor pressure cleaner run idle for too long because the pump can easily overheat if you don’t press the trigger
- Never use a washer while standing on an uneven surface like a ladder as the recoil could easily throw you off balance
- Avoid pointing the nozzle toward the direction of any living beings, even plants
- Avoid using an extension cord on an electric-powered pressure cleaner
Now that you have decided to buy one, you must first check whether the spray nozzles are included in accessories or not. If they are not included then you have to spend more to buy them, as they are a required for different washing chores. Nozzles are placed at the tip of the washer’s wand and they control the intensity and direction of the water being sprayed.
Nozzles come in two types, either as a single adjustable one or as a set of interchangeable nozzles. Adjustable nozzles are more reliable for their convenience as all you’re required to do is twist it to change the pattern and width of spray. Replaceable nozzles, on the other hand, allow you to alter the spray pattern by changing spray angles.
There are many options in the market. So tread carefully with the price. The list which we have prepared above is fare in price-performance ratio. Hence you can choose from this option blindly as we have already analyzed the factors which decide the best washers. To round it off anyway between $200-$400 is an approximate range for good pressure washing machines.
More about Pressure Washers
Why should you use them?
Cleaning is not an activity you would normally look forward to until you own a washer. They can help you clean hard to reach areas with complete ease. This cleaning tool will help you keep your home and vehicle clean with minimal effort.
How do they work?
These machines have electric motors or gas engines that are used to power a pump within them. In return, the pump pushes water through a concentrating nozzle at a high pressure to clean dirty surfaces such as patios, driveways, decks, etc.
3 Main Types
When cleaning relatively fragile things such as your bicycle, vehicle, furniture, pet’s house among other things, you can use the light-duty washer. You can use such a washer if you want to clean the mud off your vehicle’s tires or if you need to flash away light dirt across your stairway and sidewalk.
You should expect to cough up about $100 to buy a decent washer that will serve you for years. Since that price is way higher than what a garden hose costs, you may have reservations but rest assured, the cleaning results and convenience it offers are worth it.
Do you have stubborn greasy stains stuck on your driveway or garage floor? Forget a regular garden hose and upgrade to a medium duty washer that will leave your floor looking clean and fresh.
At about $150 and $350, you can get a highly powerful washer that will get rid of tougher grime with less effort and save you a ton of time too. Most of them come equipped with a detergent tank to help flush tough grime from your home to achieve professional results.
Heavy duty washers consist of top-tier washers and are priced well over $300 due to their power. They can be used for more intense cleaning jobs on hard floors such as cleaning muddy areas around your compound. Naturally, they are more powerful than both the light duty and medium duty pressure cleaners and are suitable for getting rid of caked grime anywhere.
For that price, you will no longer be worried about the toughest grime you can find. However, with all that power, you should be very careful not to inflict any injuries on live beings or cause any damage to fragile property.
Parts and Accessories
Engines produce power and send the power to the pump to propel the water out at high pressure. Engine sizes are measured in ccs and bigger ccs directly translate to more power on the engine. An example of a pressure cleaner engine is Honda GCV190 where the 190 refers to the engine’s cc.
For electric cleaners, motors are used to power the pump. They are rated according to their Watts and Amps to indicate the energy they put out. There are three distinctive types:
- Universal – They are the cheapest but are reliable for small jobs. They are also light, portable and the loudest.
- Induction – They cost more than universal motors but less than water cooled motors. For the extra money, you get a quieter yet enhanced performance than universal motors as well as durability.
- Water-Cooled – As you guessed already, these water cooled motors are the most expensive but are far more reliable than the previous two motors. The water you are using to clean is also used to cool the motor to keep it performing at the optimum level to increase the lifespan.
Entry level washers use wobble pumps. Most washers are fitted with the mid-tier quality Axial Cam pump while the heavy-duty pressure cleaners use Triplex Plunger pumps to handle the power produced. The pumps explained:
Wobble pump – They are the cheapest pumps out there and have a lifespan of approximately three years with a usage of about 2 hours per weekend. They are not replaceable or repairable.
Axial – They are more expensive than Wobble pumps and have an estimated lifespan of double or triple the lifespan of wobble pumps.
Triplex – These are the most expensive pumps because they are designed for daily commercial use. They are ideal for contractors since they have an estimated lifespan of ten times more than Axial pumps.
You can find hoses that come in various diameters, materials, connection types, and length. Standard pressure water hoses have a diameter of a 1/4 inch while professional pressure water hoses have a larger diameter of 3/8 inch to facilitate a higher rate of flow of water. Most washer hoses are made of plastic, but you can upgrade to a polyurethane hose for about $200 to get enhanced flexibility, durability and less weight to carry around.
Nozzles are perhaps the most important tools on the pressure cleaners. They come in seven different types, and they dictate the pressure of the water being propelled out. The seven types of nozzles each have unique properties and have different uses.
When you buy a pressure cleaner, it comes with over ten different attachments depending on the brand and model you picked. A standard attachment that comes with most washers is a surface cleaner that is used to clean large, flat areas much faster. The other popular attachment is a brush that complements the high-pressure jet by allowing you to scrub the dirty surface to achieve the best results. Last Updated 11 October 2018.
Some common problems can be resolved easily if you know nothing about these machines. We have published a separate post for this, featuring tips & tricks for repairing minor pressure cleaner problems. For the major ones, you need not worry. Simply claim your warranty or contact local mechanics or service centers in your area.
6 Important Applications:
- Metal Roof Cleaning: Pressure Cleaners are suitable for getting rid of grime off your metal roof.
- Lawn Equipment: Lawn equipment such as lawn mowers are normally neglected after use, but a pressure washing machine will allow you to clean the dirt off them to keep them well maintained.
- Car and Bikes: Electric Powered washers come with adjustable settings that allow you to clean your vehicles without damaging the paintwork.
- Garages and Outdoor Patios: Cleaning garages and outdoor patios can be strenuous and time-consuming if you’re using a garden hose. To save time and effort, you can use a pressure cleaner to clean away the dirt.
- Outdoor Grills: Outdoor grills gather and trap dust over a period of time making them unpleasant to look at. However, you can ensure they remain spotless by cleaning the dust off them regularly using a power cleaning tool like a pressure washer.
- Pool washing: Pool accumulates dirt over time. So you need to wash it at regular intervals to maintain cleanliness and hygiene. See how to wash a pool.
#8 Main Benefits
Share This Infographic Using Code Given Below.
- Quick Cleaning: Whenever your outdoor spaces accumulate dirt over a period, it can be hard to clean them completely. In this case, a pressure cleaner is your best friend and helper as it will help you get rid of the grime within minutes, saving you from hours of tedious work.
- Right Setting For Sensitive or Tough Cleaning Jobs: Pressure washing machines come equipped with adjustable cleaning settings to handle different conditions. Hard to reach places and dirtier places need more pressure to clean so you can use the harshest setting to ensure that grime is eliminated. A light pressure setting produces about 25% more water than a garden hose and can help you clean your car, patio, and fence more effectively without causing damage.
- Performs Any Cleaning Job Without Much Noise: One advantage of a gas motor pressure cleaner over an electric pressure cleaner is portability due to lack of power cords. However, gas motor pressure cleaners produce a lot of noise compared to electric cleaners. Electric pressure cleaners will ensure you go ahead with your cleaning business without creating any disturbance to your neighbors.
- Save Time: The efficiency of pressure cleaners should put a smile on your face since they clean five times faster while saving five times more water than traditional hoses. They also save you from having to bend over to remove sticky grime. We carried out an experiment with six vehicles where we selected three minibusses and three regular sized cars. We provided all the cleaning materials and handed a pressure cleaner to one of our cleaners and told him to clean the three mini busses. Then we instructed our second cleaner to use a regular garden hose to clean the regular sized cars. The outcome was nothing short of magnificent. It took our cleaner 47 minutes to clean the three regular sized cars while it took our other cleaner 42 minutes to clean the three minibusses.
- Save Money: One way in which a pressure cleaner helps you save money is through a reduced water bill. It has been documented that the pressure cleaner uses a less volume of water per minute compared to a garden hose. A decent pressure cleaner costs about $100 – $500. Hiring a professional cleaner costs about $100. When you stretch that over a one year period, it can easily amount to over $1,000. Cleaning and maintaining lawn equipment helps extend their lifespan. Neglected equipment tend to deteriorate much faster meaning you will have to keep replacing them.
- Cleans Surfaces more Thoroughly:: My grandma has always told me that there is no point of cleaning unless you’re going to leave it spotless. For a spotless clean, there is no substitute for high-pressure soapy water to get rid of the toughest grime and get rid of it fast. You can look for best soaps available in the market for more thorough clean. Without a pressure cleaner, you might spend hours on end while using all your energy chipping away at grease or caked mud.
- Increase Your Home’s Value and Curb Appeal: If you’re planning to sell or rent your home, pressure cleaning your driveway, front steps, sidewalks, garage door and patio will significantly increase your home’s value. This is a fact that was verified by the National Association of Realtors. What’s best is that pressure cleaning will only take a few days’ effort to put you in a strong position to jack up the price of your property.
- Chores Become Fun: There is a reason why people avoid house chores and let them pile up. The simple reason is that cleaning is not fun, in fact, it is tedious. However, with a pressure cleaner, you can look forward to cleaning as dirt and grime don’t stand a chance. Pressure cleaners make cleaning fun and what’s more is that you can transform it to be a therapeutic exercise that helps keep your mind off stressful matters.
Hot vs Cold Water Pressure Cleaning Machines
This may be going through your mind. First off, let me tell you, that normally what we use for our household cleaning chores is the cold water pressure cleaning machine and not the hot one. And it is not surprising that hot water machines clean better than cold water ones as a hot water washer heats up water to about 140F using its onboard heating coil.
But due to its complex application methods and some serious safety requirements, it is not recommended for personal use. Instead, these are reserved for the industrial use and are suitable for cleaning professionals only. Another important thing to consider, is the fact that they cost way more than cold water cleaning units.
- Gallons per minute (GPM): This is the rate of flow of water or speed of water measured per minute. The faster the water flows, the faster it will clean a given area. If you’re planning to use your pressure water for commercial applications, it is advisable to buy the high GPM machines since they can complete more washing jobs per day and also require less effort.
- Pounds per square inch (PSI): This is the measurement unit for pressure in pounds exerted by an object per square inch area. PSI measures the pushing force of the pressure cleaner. PSI is greatly affected by the nozzle type and the distance the water is traveling to hit the surface.
- Cleaning power (CP): For those who like math, CP or cleaning power is the multiplication of GPM by PSI or in math terms, (GPM X PSI = CP). CP helps rationalize the cleaning power of the washers.
Top 7 Brands
- Snow Joe – The SnowJoe brand was established in 2004 and they produce electric washers. They are located in New Jersey and offer one light-duty and three medium-duty models with their best seller being the 2030 PSI unit.
- AR Blue Clean – The AR Blue Clean brand is well known for producing high-quality pumps and is perhaps the most popular electric pressure cleaner manufacturer on the market.
- SIMPSON Cleaning – The Simpson brand has some of the best-rated gas washers. It is popular for offering products that are great value for money. Simpson Cleaning also has other cleaning products in their portfolio.
- Karcher – Karcher is the inventor of power washers in all of Europe. Their lineup consists of various electric washers.
- GreenWorks – GreenWorks is a company that produces niche electric power equipment. The brand specializes in creating the best electrical motors to be used in their equipment.
- Ivation – Ivation is one of the most respected electric powered cleaner brand out there. They produce high-quality units that are reliable. Ivation also manufactures other electric appliances to go with the pressure cleaners.
- Generac – Perhaps you have seen a gas powered washer with the brand name Generac? This is because they mostly specialize in residential use washers. They also produce other mid-tier washers. See 12 Pressure Washer Brand Reviews.
Electric vs. Gas : Which Type Should I Get?
Before making this huge decision, you need to ask yourself what type of cleaning jobs you plan on using the pressure cleaner for. For cleaning jobs such as washing your car or washing outdoor furniture, you are better suited to use an electric washer. Not only is it light but also produces less noise which might be a good thing for your neighbors.
You don’t get the same convenience in a gas powered pressure cleaner. You have to oil it and fill it up with gas in order to keep it running smoothly. Despite these minor inconveniences, this type of pressure cleaner has more power making it ideal for cleaning hard surfaces. Also, unlike electric pressure cleaners, these gas powered washers provide more mobility because you don’t need to connect power cables.
What Type Can I Use For Indoor Cleaning?
Electric washers are ideal for indoor cleaning since they do not emit toxic fumes. Over exposure to these toxic fumes may result in serious health complications. It is advisable to wear appropriate safety gear if you plan on using a gas powered washer for indoor cleaning.
Hot Water Vs Cold Water: Which Fundamental Design Should I Get?
Both washers are effective in cleaning. However, hot water washers are best suited to removing the most stubborn stains such as oil and grease. You should consider getting a hot water/steam washer to deal with stubborn grease and oil stains if you own a garage store. However, if you’re a regular homeowner, a cold water washer is more than enough to get rid of most dirt problems.
Should I Just Rent A Cleaner or Go Get Myself One Instead?
Pressure washing appliances have become a must-have household item for their convenience and for the fact that the cost of owning one is not as high as it was a few years ago. There is nothing wrong with renting a pressure washer if you need one urgently, however, it does not make sense to keep renting since you will end up spending more money rather than having one of your own. In conclusion, the convenience and long-term spending make it worth investing some money and buying one instead of renting.
Can I Attach Third-party Accessories To Improve The Performance Of My Cleaner?
Yes, you can. With more washers in the market, more companies are producing attachments to help enhance the cleaning performance. Some of the most popular third-party attachments include wands, foam cannons, spray guns and surface cleaners to help with specific cleaning projects.
Is Washing My Car With A High-power Washer Safe?
Statistically, cars rank as one of the top objects to be washed with washers. However, cars have many sensitive parts like the mirrors and windows, so you need to select a nozzle that will release just the right amount of pressure to clean without causing any damage. It would also help if you sprayed the car while standing a safe two feet away from the car to minimize the impact of the high-pressure water.
Whenever you’re expecting visitors, it has become second nature that one of the first things to do is to inspect the home for any signs of dirt. No one likes living in a dirty place and worse inviting friends and family to a messy home. However, as much as we may like clean homes, the act of cleaning can be tedious and time-consuming. As established in the buyer’s guide, home maintenance is time-consuming and strenuous especially in the case where you let chores pile up.
That is why having a helper in the form of a pressure washing appliance will make your life easy. The “helpers” we have featured in this article will help you in your cleaning jobs to ensure your home and property remain clean. I consider it the best tool for cleanliness since it can handle various cleaning jobs with minimal effort. I am confident that this educative buyer’s guide will help you get your money’s worth.
Best Electric Pressure Cookers In 2018
Top 10 Headphones Under $100
Best Wireless Routers
Best Shaver for Men
Automatic Pool Cleaners