Hello everyone, today I am going to share my experience with two new electric pressure washers. However, it was Peter, who helped me and been with me throughout this test, where we took two ‘best electric pressure washers’ for 2020. I never add the word ‘best’ before any power washer or cleaner until I use them for a couple of months. Anyway, I am happy that both of the pressure cleaners did a tremendous job and allowed me to list them on my 2020s list.
Before I let you know about those electric power washers, I would love to tell you that, me and Peter, we not only tried them on light-duty tasks (such as vehicles, patio furniture, grills, gutter cleaning, window & driveway washing, etc.) but also Extra-heavy-duty tasks – paint stripping, cleaning a two-story building, graffiti removal, etc. Now, you got the idea.
So, the best electric power washers are – Powerhouse International 3000PSI and Sun Joe SPX3500 2300, both are new and comparatively good electric power cleaners. If we compare both of them, you’ll see that, at some point, the Powerhouse stands far better in front of Sun Joe SPX3500, including cleaning power, GPM, Weight, and pressure power. However, Powerhouse is a bit expensive than Sun joe.
Note: Don’t forget that I’ve reviewed the world’s top 10 most powerful electric pressure washers just after the comparison table.
Table of Contents
- Product Comparison Table: Electric Pressure Washers
- My 10 Best Electric Pressure Washer Reviews 2020: Completely New list.
- 1. Powerhouse International 3000PSI – Extremely Electric High Power
- 2. Sun Joe SPX3500 2300 – The Runner Up!
- 3. Sun Joe SPX3000 – Top Rated Power Washer
- 4. AR Blue Clean AR383 Pressure Cleaner
- 5. GreenWorks GPW1501 – Budget Power Washer
- 6. Sun Joe SPX3001
- 7. AR Blue Clean AR390SS – Under $200 (including attachments)
- 8. Ivation 2200 PSI 1.8 GPM Cleaner – Best Performance Washer
- 9. Karcher K5 Power Washer – Best Washer Under $250
- 10. Powerhouse International – Best Compact Pressure Washer With TSS System
- How Did We Pick?
- Winner: Powerhouse International 3000PSI
- Buying Guide – 7 Factors to Consider Before Buying Electric Pressure Washer
- More about Electric Powered Washers
- Wrapping Up
Product Comparison Table: Electric Pressure Washers
|Powerhouse||Corded-Electric||3000 PSI||View Price|
|Sun Joe SPX3500||Corded-Electric||3100 PSI||View Price|
|Sun Joe SPX3000||Electric||2030 PSI||View Price|
|AR Blue Clean AR383||Electric||1900 PSI||View Price|
|GreenWorks GPW1501||Corded-Electric||1500 PSI||VIew Price|
|Sun Joe SPX3001||Electric||2030 PSI||View Price|
|AR Blue Clean AR390SS||Corded-Electric||2000 PSI||View Price|
|Ivation Pressure Washer||Electric||2200 PSI||View Price|
|Karcher K5||Corded-Electric||2000 PSI||View Price|
|Powerhouse International Force 1800||Corded-Electric||1800 PSI||View Price|
My 10 Best Electric Pressure Washer Reviews 2020: Completely New list.
1. Powerhouse International 3000PSI – Extremely Electric High Power
As its name implies, something very powerful. The company claims that they have spent three years developing this electric pressure washer keeping all types of people in mind. Yes, they did so. In my testing time period, I found its one of the best features – its motor, which stops automatically when the spray gun trigger is released.
When it comes to design and hardware, It has four casters that allow it to be rolled with you. Plus, it lets you lock it in place, meaning no hassle while working on your serious project. The hose has improved as well; it is more than 30% flexible compared to the previous model. For light-duty to heavy-duty tasks, it includes 5 Quick connect spray tips (0º, 15º, 25º, 40º, and watering). So it doesn’t matter whether you wash your car or do any heavy-duty hydro jet power washing with it. In addition, it has a universal spray gun, which consists of two stainless steel lances: one with five tips and one proprietary. When it comes to maneuverability, the telescoping handle makes it easy and portable.
Now, let’s talk about some of its highlights: Motor is quiet and exerts 3000PSI, depending on the tips – ranging from 2200 to 3000 PSI. In addition, It ensures total cleaning power up to 6,600.
Pros & Cons:
- The removable cart with four wheels allows it to be locked into place with the toe.
- The trigger gun with two stainless steel lances.
- The Spinning patio cleaner allows decks and patios’ cleaning in no time.
- Its assembly is straightforward and quite easy.
- As mentioned, the hose is quite flexible and easy to use.
- The power cord length is sufficient but feels a bit short.
Under $300, this machine is beast. You won’t believe it, but I’ve tested its PSI with all the different tips provided, ranging from 2200 – 3000 PSI. However, the red tip could generate the highest PSI. Other essential accessories, including spinning patio cleaner and angle nozzle features, are excellent. So if your pocket allows, go for it. If not, then the Sun Joe SPX3500 is waiting for you down below.
2. Sun Joe SPX3500 2300 – The Runner Up!
The second best electric power pressure washer for 2020, a rival to Powerhouse International, is Sun Joe SPX3500. The brand Sun Joe comes with an innovative and improved brushless induction motor, which not only blasts away the dirt but also less noisy. The 13 amp motor is quite powerful compared to the previous one (Sun Joe SPX3000 model, the third power cleaner on my list).
With 2300 PSI, this pressure washer is capable of washing away all types of stubborn grime, tar, mud, or dirt. This time the length of the hose also got improved, now it includes a 20-foot high-pressure hose with a 34-inch spray wand, allowing you to work with those portions which appear hard to reach. Just like, Powerhouse, it also includes a 35-foot GFCI extension cord, which helps while roaming around your working area. Besides, when it comes to heavy-duty tasks, it has a perfect squirt gun with five quick-connect spray nozzles (0º, 15º, 25º, 40º, and soap).
Pros & Cons:
- The construction and overall design of the machine is sturdy and excellent; they used solid material.
- I found its assembly very easy with straightforward setup and easy instructions.
- When the Wand trigger is released, the motor shuts off automatically.
- The induction motor is quite impressive and easily handles heavy-duty tasks.
- Equipped with a powerful motor makes this machine a bit heavy compared to the previous model.
Sun Joe is a well-known brand and innovative when it comes to outdoor tools. I tested this machine everywhere, whether you use it for ordinary dirt or stubborn grime. It will never disappoint as long as you follow the instructions carefully. Under $200, you can’t get better electric pressure washer than this. However, if you’re looking for a more powerful electric cleaner, then Powerhouse would be the best option for you.
3. Sun Joe SPX3000 – Top Rated Power Washer
First on the list is the Sun Joe SPX3000. This is from a company called Snow Joe. Its powerful motor makes this product the ultimate dirt fighter.
The 1800 Watt motor puts out 2030 PSI, which in turn shoots out water at the rate of 1.76 GPM.
We used this one to clean the grime off the car, the lawnmower, the patio, the sidewalk and the garage door with the utmost ease. So much so, that it became fun.
We are not particularly impressed with corded washers since they limit mobility, but the SPX3000 is fitted with a 35-foot power cord to ensure that you reach every corner.
I’ve been a member of an environmental conservation group, all my life. The feature that made me love this particular unit is its smart energy saving mode. The energy saving mode works by shutting off the power whenever the trigger is not engaged to save on power as well as to help prolong the pump’s lifespan.
What we did not like about the Sun Joe is the plastic connector that links the machine to the water hose. After screwing and unscrewing a few times, the connector seemed to lose its grip and would start spraying water.
Pros & Cons
- Five Quick-Connect spray tips to tackle heavy, medium and light-duty cleaning tasks.
- A powerful 1800-Watt/14.5-amp motor that generates up to 1.76 GPM/2030 PSI for maximum cleaning power
- TSS or Total Stop System automatically shuts off the pump when the motor is left idle for a long period. This helps save energy and increases the lifespan of the pump.
- Dual detergent tanks with a 0.9 L capacity. They are removable and can carry two different types of detergents for carrying out various cleaning jobs.
- Comes with a full 2-year warranty.
- Leaky hose fitting
All things considered, this is a great electric washer and I would recommend it. It has a lot of pros and we had to nitpick to find a con which happens to be a minor issue that is easily solvable.
The AR Blue comes second on our list because it does its job beautifully. For electric washers, one of our top requirements is that the units be fitted with long cords for mobility and to avoid the need for power extension cords.
Besides the long power cords, the AR comes with many add-ons to perform various cleaning functions. The hose is also long, as required and helped us wash the car without having to move the machine around constantly.
Within minutes of unboxing the AR, you can start cleaning your home because setting it up is a breeze. When it comes to environmental friendliness, it manages to use 80% less water than a garden hose while being power efficient by using 40% less power.
Also, the fact that it uses an electric motor allowed us to do washing activities at night without disturbing our neighbors with any noise. The washer comes with various add-ons such as a detergent bottle, washer gun, variable nozzles and more.
As is the case with most of the pressure cleaners we have featured, this unit is no different when it comes to its unreliable plastic adapter that starts leaking water after several days’ use.
However, this problem is solvable with a $10 budget where you replace the plastic adapter with a metal one at any local store.
Pros & Cons
- Ample power for outdoor cleaning activities
- Comes with various attachments included to enhance the cleaning performance
- Environment-friendly nature conserves up to 80% more water than a garden hose
- Quieter than gas engine models
- Easy to assemble and use. Setting up for the first time may take longer, but reduces by half when you get used to how it works.
- Customer service available at all times
- Leaky plastic hose adapter
The key takeaway is that this unit is lightweight and one of the easiest to operate. While it is not made to handle big jobs, it does its job like cleaning the sidewalk, superbly.
5. GreenWorks GPW1501 – Budget Power Washer
Unlike other manufacturers, GreenWorks do not make both gas and electric powered washers. The company has specialized in producing only electric powered units and the GPW1501 is no exception.
I had the privilege of using this washer for two weeks and I was completely satisfied with its performance. The first thing I noticed when it arrived is its lightweight nature. This factor came in handy a little later when I had to move it from the garage to the backyard to clean our dog’s house.
Set up was easy and I had it up and running in no time. If you are on an uneven ground, you can set it up horizontally or vertically to achieve greater stability when using it.
Its motor produces 1500 PSI power that easily discharges water at a rate of 1.2 GPM to blast through dirt and grime when cleaning.
You can also alter the cleaning finesse with the different angles of quick tip nozzles that are included in the package. The GPW1501 features a 20-foot high-pressure hose that helps with the reach – ability, so you don’t have to keep moving the unit around.
On to the negatives, the soap dispenser is fragile and can start leaking if you drop it on a hard surface. Another thing you will need to get used to is the grinding sound that emanates from the motor whenever you power it up.
Pros & Cons
- Capable of putting out 1500 PSI at 1.2 GPM to blast through the grime on surfaces
- Offers great flexibility and stability with vertical or horizontal use
- Includes various connect tips for handling a variety of cleaning jobs
- Comes with a 20-foot high-pressure hose to offer greater reach
- Soap applicator for deliberate soap application on tough grime
- Comes with a five-foot power cord
- Leaky soap dispenser
- You can almost hear or feel like the motor is switching gears at the beginning of a cleaning session.
All things considered, the GPW1501 is a great option. It does not have the power to handle a large driveway, but is adequate for small areas like garages, porches, cars, etc.
Right off the bat, the SPX3001 is easy to set up. As soon as you see it and hold it, you know immediately that it is meant for small and medium-sized cleaning jobs.
Despite one or two components that seem cheap and flimsy, the overall design and build quality feel sturdy. The 1800 Watt motor produces 2,030 PSI to shoot water at the rate of 1.76 GPM for maximum cleaning performance.
Despite its power, the SPX3001 comes with quick connect spray tips in its packaging to handle different types of cleaning jobs.
The 20-foot high-pressure hose increases reach-ability and the hose reel to ensure it is well-secured for storage. In a competitive market, the specs for the SPX3001 are impressive for its price point.
It features an Automatic Total Stop System that increases power efficiency while helping prolong the motor’s lifespan. We got it in the winter period and we cleaned all types of surfaces using it.
During this period, we can report that no special maintenance was required. Simply applying a lubricant on the seals to keep them running smoothly and efficiently was all that was required.
The negatives include a hose that feels cheap. The attachment is an inconvenience and a poor decision by Snow Joe since it makes fitting a replacement that much harder. Also, like other models, it comes with a plastic hose adapter that is unreliable for long-term usage.
Pros & Cons
- Comes with five Quick-Connect spray tips to tackle all sorts of cleaning tasks
- A powerful 1800-Watt motor that generates up to 2030 PSI to provide maximum cleaning power
- An on-board reel that stores the 20-foot high-pressure hose in an organized fashion for quick access
- TSS or Total Stop System acts as an energy saver while also helping prolong the pump’s life
- Comes with a full CSA approved 2-year warranty
- Lightweight Hose
- Unreliable plastic hose adapter
Even though the build quality is not that great in some specific parts, the SPX3001 does offer an easy to use design coupled with a good and quiet performance. The good thing is that it is fixable in all the areas that it is lacking.
7. AR Blue Clean AR390SS – Under $200 (including attachments)
You can always tell if you have bought a high-quality product, from its packaging. The AR390SS falls in this category. It is well packaged with shock cushions to protect it from impact while being transported.
The AR390SS is highly rated. In fact, it received the highest rating in the 2016 electric pressure washer consumer report test.
Even for first-time users, setup is easy once you un-box it. It comes with several attachments such as a washer wand, a washer gun, a detachable detergent tank and several washer nozzles.
It comes with a class-leading 30-inch high-pressure hose and a 35-foot power cord to provide maximum reach-ability. This unit comes with all the features you could possibly need. It has ample pressure power to complete most cleaning tasks at home.
As for the power, the AR Blue has limited the electric motor to just 15A to protect your home circuit breaker and to make it environment-friendly.
Using the AR390SS will help you conserve 80% more water and improve power efficiency to over 45% more than a standard garden hose.
On the negative front, the wand holder keeps falling when the wand is removed. AR should have secured it with more screws to keep it place at all times.
Pros & Cons
- Ample power to perform outdoor cleaning
- Highly rated by consumers for its convenience and reliability
- Various attachments included for enhancing cleaning performance
- Easy to assemble
- Wand holder lacks sufficient support and keeps falling out when the wand is removed
In conclusion, the AR390SS is great for small tasks such as cleaning automobiles. It is a great tool to own because it provides convenience and reliability. I would recommend it to anybody who has house cleaning chores and needs to complete them with ease and in a timely fashion.
8. Ivation 2200 PSI 1.8 GPM Cleaner – Best Performance Washer
I cannot praise the Ivation enough. The sides of my house had old, cracked paint that bothered me until we got this unit. I set aside a full day for scraping the old paint off but the Ivation did all that for me, saving me a ton of time, energy and the agony of scraping off paint.
Cleaning grime is made easy by its powerful 1800 Watt electric motor that produces 2200 PSI power which in turn shoots water at a rate of 1.8 GPM. This unit excels in many other areas such as car washing.
With this pressure cleaner, you will never have to pay $10 again to get your car cleaned. The interchangeable nozzles included in the packaging can produce high pressure, medium pressure and high-pressure washing nozzles for cleaning various surfaces.
It comes with only three attachments. From the box, you barely need thirty seconds to get it ready for the first wash. Connecting the attachments is made easy and secure with the durable copper connection from the hose to the nozzle.
It comes with the power efficient and life-boosting Total Stop System (TSS) that enhances the washer’s environmental friendliness.
Despite having all the features you could ever need, you cannot help but feel shortchanged with the power output. There are more powerful models out there for the same price.
Pros & Cons
- Power Generated by the 1800 Watt Motor
- Produces 2,200 PSI for Maximum Cleaning Power
- Comes with Interchangeable Pressure Nozzles for Washing Various Surfaces
- Bonus Turbo Wand Included
- Easy-to-Use System R
- Automatic Total Stop System (TSS)
- Optional Self-Suction, & Soap Dispenser
- Comes with a 1 Year Warranty
- Less powerful
The Ivation has proven to be tough and durable to handle any cleaning job you can put it through. It is easy to use for both men and women. The price and cleaning results make this unit worthwhile.
9. Karcher K5 Power Washer – Best Washer Under $250
By the time I received the Karcher K5 for testing, I had gained a lot of experience and expertise on pressure washers. Karcher has been in this space for a long time and they have different models of washers to show for it.
The K5 made our list for its value proposition and cutting-edge features that come with it. Perhaps the most appealing feature of the Karcher K5 is its water-cooled electric motor.
This feature not only increases the efficiency of the washer’s electric motor but helps prolong its life up to five times more than a regular electric motor.
As expected, setting it up was as easy as it should be. This unit is fitted with an N-Cor pump that is maintenance free and non-corrosive to provide durability.
Also, it comes with all the bells and whistles you could ask for in a washer such as multiple spray wands including the dirt blaster spray wand, detergent tank, 35-foot power cord and high impact wheels.
Electric motors are quieter than gas-powered washers, but this unit almost defies the laws of physics for quietness.
This unit will serve you well for soft cleaning jobs at home, so if you’re looking for a commercial washer, this will not make for a good option.
The thing that baffles me the most about the Karcher K5 Premium is the fact that the makers have not included a powerful pump. This unit is capable of 2000 PSI, and yet they have chosen to reduce the overall manufacturing cost by including a substandard pump that is only capable of shooting 1.4 GPM.
Pros & Cons
- Clean quicker and more effectively with a 2000 PSI jet of water
- 25-foot high-pressure hose
- Includes various add-ons and attachments
- Dirtblaster spray wand halves the cleaning time
- N-COR pump for durability, maintenance-free and non-corrosive features
- Water-cooled induction motor to boost its life span up to five times more
- Onboard detergent tank
- 7.7″ high impact wheels
- 35-foot GFCI power cord
- Produces only 1.4 GPM which is not effective for cleaning as other models
Overall, the Karcher K5 is a good balance between power and value. Since this is a $200 unit, it is not fair to compare it to a $500 unit, and for its value, it is a capable machine that will make your cleaning work a lot easier.
10. Powerhouse International – Best Compact Pressure Washer With TSS System
Last but not least is The Force 1800. As advertised, it is compact, easy to set up, and quiet despite its impressive 1800 PSI power output.
Sometimes you may wish to get a 5000 PSI washer to clean the grime that has been building up your driveway and sidewalk for years but if you’re like me, you’d look at the price and consider how many times you’re going to use it in a year and finally end up deciding that it is not worth the money.
This unit comes with a 90-degree nozzle that can be used for getting rid of crud from hard to reach corners and edges. It is lightweight and has all-terrain wheels. It actually follows you whenever you reach the end of the pressure hose. Some other models may actually cause you to trip over them, not this one.
The Force 1800 is power efficient in that the pump stops whenever you release the handle. Without a doubt, the Force 1800 is the most self-sufficient electric washer we have featured. It comes with an automatic thermal sensor that senses when the motor is about to overheat and automatically provides better power regulation.
It comes with a functional design which means that every attachment can be stored securely and compactly onto the unit to provide maximum portability. A cool feature is a foot operated on & off switch that is unique to this model.
I seem to have a problem with the gap in power between the gas-powered model and the electric models and the Force 1800 is no different here. It has adequate power but it constantly leaves you wishing it could put out just a little more power out.
Pros & Cons
- Total Stop System or TSS for power efficiency and prolonging motor life
- Uniquely placed foot-operated on/off switch
- The motor features a thermal sensor to protect it from overheating
- Self Storing accessories provide an organized, compact, and portable storage space
- Safety and convenience features
- Capable of shooting 1.6 GPM at 1800 PSI pressure
- Falls short on power compared to gas-powered models
When you factor everything including the price of this washer, you realize how great of a deal it is. It feels solid and sturdy which are great signs for durability. I believe it is the right choice for its price point and therefore I would strongly recommend it.
How Did We Pick?
Picking the best electric power washer was not an easy task given the quality that is out there. We took everything into consideration. From the price, type of motor, the power of the motor to convenience, durability and environmental friendliness.
As you can imagine, most pressure washers have passed our rigorous tests with flying colors. However, the Sun Joe SPX3000 stood out of the lineup. It checked all the right boxes and what’s more, almost all the professionals we interviewed claimed that it was the best electric pressure washer they had used.
Winner: Powerhouse International 3000PSI
Like other models, the Powerhouse pressure washer was put through a rigorous testing process and we are glad to announce that it was the best electric pressure cleaner in 2020 & is continuing to rule in 2020 too. It works as advertised, you can wash your front porch and driveway within minutes where it would normally take a minimum of two hours to complete using a garden hose.
You can also clean off the grime stuck on your brick walls and concrete floors without a single hitch. The Powerhouse comes with lots of different nozzles that let you complete various cleaning jobs with ease. For example, with the right nozzle, children as young as six years can use it to clean their bicycles with no problems.
Its low weight also helps in case children use it. Regardless of its ease of use, parent supervision is strongly advised when in the hands of children.
Buying Guide – 7 Factors to Consider Before Buying Electric Pressure Washer
#1. Do You Really Need It?
Before you decide to purchase a pressure washer, you should know that they are available on rent at decent rates. However, if you decide to buy, you should consider buying one that has a built-in soap tank as well as cord storage space. For heavy duty models, ensure you get one with wheels to make it easier for you to move it around. See Pressure Washer Buying Tips.
#2. Can You Handle it Yourself or You Need a Handyman for the Job?
Are you too busy to clean or are unsure about the safety measures of a washer? No need to panic because you can look for professionals. Local contractors and professional cleaners in your local area can easily be found online.
#3. Electric v/s Gas – Which One To Choose?
Gas-Powered Washer (Price: $250 to $500)
- More power
- Made of solid components, therefore, more durable
- More mobile due to lack of electric cords
- More expensive
- More maintenance required
- More noise
- More fumes
- Heavier and larger in size
Electric-Powered Washer (Price: $75 to $250)
- More affordable – Budget friendly
- Quieter – Runs smoothly & silently as compared to gas washers
- Less maintenance required
- No fumes mean they can be used indoors
- Less power
- Less portable due to the electric cord
- Mostly made of plastic components means it is less durable
- Electric cord annoyance
#4. Potential Risks
Water coming from a pressure washer can be dangerous if exposed to the skin. It is expelled at 30 to 80 times more pressure than a normal garden hose and carries with it, strong cutting capabilities. It is always advisable to use these machines with extreme caution as contact with a misplaced jet of water could severely damage a person’s skin and land him or her in the emergency room.
We’ve already covered the fact that the jet of water can severely damage your skin and also result in bacterial infections. In 2014, about 6,057 people had to be subjected to emergency treatment due to injuries sustained by washers. Also, since gas motors are loud, we recommend you use hearing protection to protect yourself from noise damage from prolonged use. Here are some dos and don’ts to consider:
- Carefully read the manufacturer’s manual
- Wear long pants, sturdy footwear, and protective goggles. Do not wear flip flops
- Take extra care on slippery wet surfaces
- Start at least two feet away from the surface and use the widest spray angle while moving closer
- Always turn off the washer and drain excess water before replacing the spray tips for safety
- Get as much safety practice as you can before you can start using the machine around people
- A garden hose may be more kind to your car’s paint job than an electric washer
- Never get closer than six inches to whatever surface you’re cleaning. You may end up punching holes in your deck wood or puncturing your car’s tires with the stream of water
- Don’t let a gas motor pressure cleaner run idle for too long because the pump can easily overheat if you don’t press the trigger
- Never use a washer while standing on an uneven surface like a ladder as the recoil could easily throw you off balance
- Avoid pointing the nozzle toward the direction of any living beings, even plants
- Avoid using an extension cord on an electric-powered pressure cleaner
Now that you have decided to buy one, you must first check whether the spray nozzles are included with accessories or not. If they are not included then you have to spend more to buy them, as they are a required for different washing chores. Nozzles are placed at the tip of the washer wand and they control the intensity and direction of the water being sprayed.
Nozzles come in two types, either as a single adjustable one or as a set of interchangeable nozzles. Adjustable nozzles are more reliable for their convenience as all you’re required to do is twist it to change the pattern and width of spray. Replaceable nozzles, on the other hand, allow you to alter the spray pattern by changing spray angles.
There are many options in the market. So tread carefully with the price. The list which we have prepared above is faring in price-performance ratio. Hence, you can choose from, this option blindly as we have already analyzed the factors which decide the best washers. To round it off anyway between $200-$400 is an approximate range of good pressure washing machines.
More about Electric Powered Washers
Why should you use them?
Cleaning is not an activity you would normally look forward to until you own a washer. They can help you clean hard to reach areas with complete ease. This cleaning tool will help you keep your home and vehicle clean with minimal effort.
How do they work?
These machines have electric motors or gas engines that are used to power a pump within them. In return, the pump pushes water through a concentrating nozzle at a high pressure to clean dirty surfaces such as patios, driveways, decks, etc.
3 Main Types
When cleaning relatively fragile things such as your bicycle, vehicle, furniture, pet’s house among other things, you can use the light-duty washer. You can use such a washer if you want to clean the mud off your vehicle’s tires or if you need to flush away light dirt across your stairway and sidewalk.
You should expect to cough up about $100 to buy a decent washer that will serve you for years. Since that price is way higher than what a garden hose cost, you may have reservations, but rest assured, the cleaning results and convenience it offers are worth it.
Do you have stubborn greasy stains stuck on your driveway or garage floor? Forget a regular garden hose and upgrade to a medium duty washer that will leave your floor looking clean and fresh.
At about $150 and $350, you can get a highly powerful washer that will get rid of tougher grime with less effort and save you a ton of time too. Most of them come equipped with a detergent tank to help flush tough grime from your home to achieve professional results.
Heavy duty washers consist of top-tier washers and are priced well over $300 due to their power. They can be used for more intense cleaning jobs on hard floors such as cleaning muddy areas around your compound. Naturally, they are more powerful than both the light duty and medium duty pressure cleaners and are suitable for getting rid of caked grime anywhere.
For that price, you will no longer be worried about the toughest grime you can find. However, with all that power, you should be very careful not to inflict any injuries on live beings or cause any damage to fragile property.
Parts and Accessories
The engines produce power and send the power to the pump to propel the water out at high pressure. Engine sizes are measured in ccs and bigger ccs directly translate to more power in the engine. An example of a pressure cleaner engine is Honda GCV190 where the 190 refers to the engine’s cc.
For electric cleaners, motors are used to power the pump. They are rated according to their Watts and Amps to indicate the energy they put out. There are three distinctive types:
They are the cheapest but are reliable for small jobs. They are also light, portable and the loudest.
They cost more than universal motors, but less than water cooled motors. For the extra money, you get a quieter yet enhanced performance than universal motors as well as durability.
As you guessed already, these water cooled motors are the most expensive but are far more reliable than the previous two motors. The water you use to clean is also used to cool the motor to keep it performing at the optimum level to increase the lifespan.
Entry level washers use wobble pumps. Most washers are fitted with the mid-tier quality Axial Cam pump while the heavy-duty pressure cleaners use Triplex Plunger pumps to handle the power produced. The pumps explained:
1. Wobble pump
They are the cheapest pumps out there and have a lifespan of approximately three years with a usage of about 2 hours per weekend. They are not replaceable or repairable.
They are more expensive than Wobble pumps and have an estimated lifespan of double or triple the lifespan of wobble pumps.
These are the most expensive pumps because they are designed for daily commercial use. They are ideal for contractors since they have an estimated lifespan of ten times more than Axial pumps.
You can find hoses that come in various diameters, materials, connection types, and length. Standard pressure water hoses have a diameter of a 1/4 inch while professional pressure water hoses have a larger diameter of 3/8 inch to facilitate a higher rate of flow of water. Most washer hoses are made of plastic, but you can upgrade to a polyurethane hose for about $200 to get enhanced flexibility, durability and less weight carry around.
Nozzles are perhaps the most important tools on the pressure cleaners. They come in seven different types, and they dictate the pressure of the water being propelled out. The seven types of nozzles each have unique properties and have different uses.
When you buy a pressure cleaner, it comes with over ten different attachments depending on the brand and model you picked. A standard attachment that comes with most washers is a surface cleaner that is used to clean large, flat areas much faster. The other popular attachment is a brush that complements the high-pressure jet by allowing you to scrub the dirty surface to achieve the best results.
Some common problems can be resolved easily if you know nothing about these machines. We have published a separate post for this, featuring tips & tricks for repairing minor pressure cleaner problems. For the major ones, you need not worry. Simply claim your warranty or contact local mechanics or service centers in your area.
6 Important Applications:
- Metal Roof Cleaning: Pressure Cleaners are suitable for getting rid of grime off your metal roof.
- Lawn Equipment: Lawn equipment such as lawn mowers are normally neglected after use, but a pressure washing machine will allow you to clean the dirt off them to keep them well maintained.
- Car and Bikes: Electric Powered washers come with adjustable settings that allow you to clean your vehicles without damaging the paintwork.
- Garages and Outdoor Patios: Cleaning garages and outdoor patios can be strenuous and time-consuming if you’re using a garden hose. To save time and effort, you can use a pressure cleaner to clean away the dirt.
- Outdoor Grills: Outdoor grills gather and trap dust over a period of time making them unpleasant to look at. However, you can ensure they remain spotless by cleaning the dust off them regularly using a power cleaning tool like a pressure washer.
- Pool washing: Pool accumulates dirt over time. So you need to wash it at regular intervals to maintain cleanliness and hygiene.
Hot vs Cold Water Pressure Cleaning Machines
This may be going through your mind. First off, let me tell you, that normally what we use for our household cleaning chores is the cold water pressure cleaning machine and not the hot one. And it is not surprising that hot water machines clean better than cold water ones as a hot water washer heats up water to about 140F using its onboard heating coil.
But due to its complex application methods and some serious safety requirements, it is not recommended for personal use. Instead, these are reserved for the industrial use and are suitable for cleaning professionals only. Another important thing to consider, is the fact that they cost way more than cold water cleaning units.
- Gallons per minute (GPM): This is the rate of flow of water or speed of water measured per minute. The faster the water flows, the faster it will clean a given area. If you’re planning to use your pressure water for commercial applications, it is advisable to buy the high GPM machines since they can complete more washing jobs per day and also require less effort.
- Pounds per square inch (PSI): This is the measurement unit for pressure in pounds exerted by an object per square inch area. PSI measures the pushing force of the pressure cleaner. PSI is greatly affected by the nozzle type and the distance the water is traveling to hit the surface.
- Cleaning power (CP): For those who like math, CP or cleaning power is the multiplication of GPM by PSI or in math terms, (GPM X PSI = CP). CP helps rationalize the cleaning power of the washers.
Top 7 Brands: Electric Power Washers
Snow Joe –
The SnowJoe brand was established in 2004 and they produce electric washers. They are located in New Jersey and offer one light-duty and three medium-duty models with their best seller being the 2030 PSI unit.
AR Blue Clean –
The AR Blue Clean brand is well known for producing high-quality pumps and is perhaps the most popular electric pressure cleaner manufacturer on the market.
SIMPSON Cleaning –
The Simpson brand has some of the best-rated gas washers. It is popular for offering products that are great value for money. Simpson Cleaning also has other cleaning products in their portfolio.
Karcher is the inventor of power washers in all of Europe. Their lineup consists of various electric washers.
GreenWorks is a company that produces niche electric power equipment. The brand specializes in creating the best electrical motors to be used in their equipment.
Ivation is one of the most respected electric powered cleaner brand out there. They produce high-quality units that are reliable. Ivation also manufactures other electric appliances to go with the pressure cleaners.
Perhaps you have seen a gas powered washer with the brand name Generac? This is because they mostly specialize in residential use washers. They also produce other mid-tier washers. See 12 Pressure Washer Brand Reviews.
Pressure Washer – Electric vs. Gas : Which Type Should I Get?
Before making this huge decision, you need to ask yourself what type of cleaning jobs you plan on using the pressure cleaner for. For cleaning jobs such as washing your car or washing outdoor furniture, you are better suited to use an electric washer. Not only is it light but also produces less noise which might be a good thing for your neighbors.
You don’t get the same convenience in a gas powered pressure cleaner. You have to oil it and fill it up with gas in order to keep it running smoothly. Despite these minor inconveniences, this type of pressure cleaner has more power making it ideal for cleaning hard surfaces. Also, unlike electric pressure cleaners, these gas powered washers provide more mobility because you don’t need to connect power cables.
What Type Can I Use For Indoor Cleaning?
Electric Pressure washers are ideal for indoor cleaning since they do not emit toxic fumes. Over exposure to these toxic fumes may result in serious health complications. It is advisable to wear appropriate safety gear if you plan on using a gas powered washer for indoor cleaning.
Hot Water Vs Cold Water: Which Fundamental Design Should I Get?
Both washers are effective in cleaning. However, hot water washers are best suited to removing the most stubborn stains such as oil and grease. You should consider getting a hot water/steam washer to deal with stubborn grease and oil stains if you own a garage store. However, if you’re a regular homeowner, a cold water washer is more than enough to get rid of most dirt problems.
Should I Just Rent A Power Cleaner or Go Get Myself One Instead?
Pressure washing appliances have become a must-have household item for their convenience and for the fact that the cost of owning one is not as high as it was a few years ago. There is nothing wrong with renting a pressure washer if you need one urgently, however, it does not make sense to keep renting since you will end up spending more money rather than having one of your own. In conclusion, the convenience and long-term spending make it worth investing some money and buying one instead of renting.
Can I Attach Third-party Accessories To Improve The Performance Of My Power Cleaner?
Yes, you can. With more washers in the market, more companies are producing attachments to help enhance the cleaning performance. Some of the most popular third-party attachments include wands, foam cannons, spray guns and surface cleaners to help with specific cleaning projects.
Is Washing My Car With A High-power Electric Pressure Washer Safe?
Statistically, cars rank as one of the top objects to be washed with washers. However, cars have many sensitive parts like the mirrors and windows, so you need to select a nozzle that will release just the right amount of pressure to clean without causing any damage. It would also help if you sprayed the car while standing a safe two feet away from the car to minimize the impact of the high-pressure water.
Whenever you’re expecting visitors, it has become second nature that one of the first things to do is to inspect the home for any signs of dirt. No one likes living in a dirty place and worse inviting friends and family to a messy home. However, as much as we may like clean homes, the act of cleaning can be tedious and time-consuming. As established in the buyer’s guide, home maintenance is time-consuming and strenuous especially in the case where you let chores pile up.
That is why having a helper in the form of a pressure washing appliance will make your life easy. The “helpers” we have featured in this article will help you in your cleaning jobs to ensure your home and property remain clean. I consider it the best tool for cleanliness since it can handle various cleaning jobs with minimal effort. I am confident that this educative buyer’s guide will help you get your money’s worth.