Table of Contents
- 1 Electric Pencil Sharpener Comparison Chart
- 2 Best Electric Pencil Sharpener
- 2.1 1. X-ACTO – Best Pencil Sharpener
- 2.2 2. OfficePro – Best for Artists
- 2.3 3. LINKYO – Best For Home
- 2.4 4. X-ACTO XLR – Best in Safety
- 2.5 5. Bostitch – Best Durable Sharpener
- 2.6 6. School Smart – Best In Design
- 2.7 7. TripWorthy – Best Battery Operated Sharpener
- 2.8 8. Artist Choice – Best Heavy-Duty Pencil Sharpener
- 2.9 9. BENGOO – Best Lightweight Sharpener
- 2.10 10. School Smart 84328 – Best Overall Sharpener
- 3 Buying Guide – What to look for in an electric pencil sharpener
- 4 Final words
Are you tired of having to settle “who has my sharpener” fights in your classroom? Or maybe you are an artist of sorts and you are tired of old inefficient manual sharpeners. Whatever your situation is, there is no denying the value and effectiveness of electric sharpeners. Here is the best electric pencil sharpener reviews & buying guide you won’t find anywhere.
Electric Pencil Sharpener Comparison Chart
|X-ACTO||0.8 ounce||4.4||Check Price|
|OfficePro||12.8 ounce||4.5||Check Price|
|LINKYO||8 ounce||4.2||Check Price|
|X-ACTO XLR||1 pound||4.0||Check Price|
|Bostitch||12.8 ounce||3.7||Check Price|
|School Smart||2.9 pound||4.5||Check Price|
|TripWorthy||6.9 ounce||4.4||Check Price|
|Artist Choice||8 ounce||4.5||Check Price|
|BENGOO||1.6 ounce||3.6||Check Price|
|School Smart 84328||_||4.6||Check Price|
Best Electric Pencil Sharpener
Here is the detailed review of electric pencil sharpeners.
1. X-ACTO – Best Pencil Sharpener
One of the key features of this electric sharpener is its very quiet motor.
It is not exactly noise-free but it will cause significantly less distraction in your classroom than other options.
It has a clear trash receptacle with a very impressive capacity. This means that you or your students (if you are a teacher) can use the sharpener for long periods of time without having to clean it out.
The model also stands out with its Flyaway Cutter feature that automatically stops sharpening the pencil when it detects that the lead is sharp enough.
- It is less noisy than most other models
- It is safe
- It is mess-free
- Strong and durable construction
- It does not sharpen evenly
2. OfficePro – Best for Artists
This sharpener has steel helical sharpening blades. These ensure a clean and even result whether it is a soft or hard pencil.
It is battery powered and runs on 4 AA batteries at a time. The motor system is designed to be energy efficient which means you will not need to replace the batteries too often.
However, in the long run, it will cost you more to operate the sharpener than a plug-in option would.
It comes with a clear shavings reservoir that makes it easy for you to monitor how full it is and know when to clear it.
- Comes with a lifetime replacement guarantee
- It is very versatile
- It sharpens the pencils
- The batteries are an extra operational cost
This pencil sharpener has a lot to offer in terms of automation.
It has a Smart Sharpening sensor which automatically starts sharpening whenever a pencil is inserted.
It also has an auto-jam release mechanism. This is meant to keep the system clear and prevent the cutters from clogging up.
The final automated feature is the auto shut off. This stops the motor when the lid is removed for cleaning making it safe to handle.
The sharpener is designed to be set up on a table. To facilitate this, it comes with a mount and special silicon pads to prevent slipping.
- Large shavings reservoir
- Can sharpen colored pencils
- Fast and efficient helical steel blade system
- The electric cord is short making set-up a challenge
4. X-ACTO XLR – Best in Safety
One unique feature about the X-ACTO sharpener is its auto-reset feature. This guarantees safety for both the user and the device.
It protects the sharpener from overheating while also preventing injuries to you while sharpening your pencil.
It also stands out with its pencil-saver technology. You know how annoying it can be as you sharpen your pencil and the sharpener eats’ through most of the wood?
This is something you do not have to worry about with this model as a result of the special saving technology.
- Quiet sharpening mechanism
- It does not waste pencil wood
- It is safe for both adults and children
- It is messy with a low-quality shavings reservoir
5. Bostitch – Best Durable Sharpener
This electric sharpener uses an HHC cutter. The special mechanism makes it not only efficient at sharpening pencils but also highly durable.
It comes with a special safety switch to turn off the cutter when emptying shavings from the trash reservoir.
Unlike other models, the switch is not automated but it still serves its intended purpose.
Another great thing about this sharpener is its small design. It is compact and therefore very easy to carry around.
The design also makes it easily portable whether you want to carry it in your pocket or in your book bag.
- It has a compact design for convenient setup
- The shavings reservoir has a large capacity
- It is ineffective in sharpening colored pencils
6. School Smart – Best In Design
Like most other models on our list, the School Smart sharpener has a helical steel blade.
However, the design and quality of blades used makes it far more efficient than the rest especially with hard pencil wood and lead.
You also have a lot to look forward to in terms of safety and pencil conservation with the auto-stop feature. This technology causes the motors to stop running when the pencil reaches a certain degree of sharpness thus preventing over-sharpening.
The feature also protects users from injury when the unit is open for cleaning.
Finally, for easy setup on your desk, there is a non-stick rubber pad on the base.
- Easy desk-top setup
- Long power cable
- Durable construction
- The shavings receptacle is translucent making it hard to monitor trash level
7. TripWorthy – Best Battery Operated Sharpener
Number 2 pencils are among the highest quality pencils on the market and not many electric sharpeners give them the sharpening justice they deserve.
This TripWorthy model is one of the few out there that is up to the task. Within a few seconds, you will have your number 2 pencil or any other type of pencil sharp and ready for use.
It is a battery powered unit that uses 2 AA batteries. You will have to keep replacing these batteries once they run out.
However, battery power means that you can literally use your sharpener wherever you are whenever you wish despite the presence or absence of power sockets.
- Compact design
- It is safe for children
- It is versatile
- You’ll need to keep buying battery replacements
8. Artist Choice – Best Heavy-Duty Pencil Sharpener
This is yet another awesome battery-powered option to consider if you are in the market for an electric sharpener.
It is 100% child proof with a design that is meant to keep young users from injury while using the sharpener.
It has a highly efficient stainless steel helical cutter system.
This makes it a highly effective option for use on a variety of pencil designs thus increasing its applicability.
- It is easily portable
- It versatile and can be used to sharpen a wide variety of pencils
- It sharpens uniformly and smoothly
- The trash receptacle has limited capacity
9. BENGOO – Best Lightweight Sharpener
This is the only model on our list with dual power supply options.
You can connect it to AC power through a USB cable or opt for batteries power supply. The design allows you to enjoy the best of both worlds.
These power systems drive a highly efficient sharpening motor system. This system together with the super sharp blades ensures fast and uniform sharpening.
In terms of set up, you can either use it in your hand or place it on a flat stable surface. It has an ergonomic design for handheld use while a non-slip base mat ensures stability when used on a table or other surface.
- Beautiful aesthetic design
- It offers you variety in terms of power source options
- Compact space-friendly design
- Limited shavings reservoir space
10. School Smart 84328 – Best Overall Sharpener
This School Smart model has an auto-stop feature. This is useful mainly when it comes to preventing wastage of pencil wood.
It also makes sharpening a lot faster and more efficient. Finally, the automated feature prevents clogging and fast filling up of the shavings receptacle.
It has a nice compact design that makes it easy to carry around and set up where there is limited desk space.
The sharpener is powered by an AC power supply through a power cord. This ensures makes running efficient and cheap in the long run as you do not have to worry about buying replacement batteries.
- It has a long power cord
- Heavy duty construction for durability
- Efficient sharpening mechanism
- The reservoir is small especially in a classroom or office settings
With this guide, it should be easy for you to find the perfect sharpener for class, home or even your office. Just consider efficiency, safety, and construction when making your decision. The top 10 options highlighted are a good place to start with each model having something very interesting to offer you.